How to Lower Your Property Taxes With a Formal Property Tax Appeal

by | Nov 23, 2012 | Law And Politics

Recent Articles



There are many people, who are faced with their property tax bill after their formal assessment and who find that this bill was much more than they imagined. There are many who think that there must be something wrong with their assessment to have such high property taxes, but who ultimately do not do anything to challenge the amount they have been charged. The average person will look at their property tax amount and simply assume that there is nothing that can be done and they simply pay the amount they are told.

However, if you truly believe that there is some type of inaccuracy with your property tax appeal and you feel as though you are being overcharged, there is something that you can do to lower your property tax amounts; file a formal property tax appeal. In order to do this one of the first things that you will want to do is hire a professional property tax attorney.

The good news is the appeal process is often quite simple with the help of an attorney, however, there are a few things that you will need to do first in order to make sure that you can prove you have a case on your hands. You can’t simply file a property tax appeal because you don’t like how much you are being charged, you need to be able to actually prove that you have been overcharged after your assessment.

One of the first things that you and your attorney will figure out is whether or not you have a property tax appeal on your hands. You must remember that you may not always have the proof you need to get the appeal approved. You must also remember that if the appeal is for a very small discrepancy it can actually not even be worth your time to file the appeal because you will end up spending more in legal fees. This is why contacting a professional attorney is so important and why you will want to make sure that you take the time to hire a professional who can walk you through the process and who can provide you with a free consultation to let you know if you even have a case on your hands to begin with.

If you do, your attorney can get to work in preparing your case, but you may have to do some things to help them and in order to build up the evidence that you have regarding the inaccuracies with your assessment. Typically this is just getting photos that can prove the errors in your assessment. Either way, with the help of a professional and well trained attorney, you will be able to file a property tax appeal that can end up saving you a great deal of money.

Similar Posts