Jul 31, 2017

Posted by in Law Firm | Comments Off on What to do If You Suspect Elder Neglect

What to do If You Suspect Elder Neglect

If you suspect an elderly friend or family member is the victim of abuse or neglect, contact an elder neglect attorney immediately. Unfortunately, statistics show the number of victims are on the rise and the big corporations that are running nursing and retirement homes are not being held accountable. Medical staff may not identify abuse or neglect because of lack of training. Here are some of the top signs of neglect/abuse:

* Unexplained injuries and bruising
* Conflicting stories from staff and your loved one about how the injuries occurred
* Bed sores
* Fear or anxiety

Your loved one may not report the abuse because of fear of retaliation from staff members. They may also not be cognitive enough to understand that abuse is happening. Here are some things you can do if you suspect something:

Document everything

This includes taking pictures and video of the injuries and your loved one’s surroundings. Keep a journal of the types of injuries you noticed, dates, times and anything else you think is relevant.

Report the abuse

If you think your loved one is in immediate danger call 911 and have them removed immediately from the premises, as the police undergo their investigation. You can also contact your long-term care ombudsman. They will work on the resident’s behalf and investigate the claims. These representatives can be instrumental in making the necessary changes.

If you believe that you are entitled to monetary compensation or you want to bring a class action suit against the long-term care center, your elder neglect attorney can help. They will guide you through the legal process to ensure you get fair compensation and that your loved one gets the help they need; they have the right to be treated with dignity and respect and your attorney will make sure that happens.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This