Oct 21, 2013

Posted by Shanell Calloway in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Planning permission for installing doors and windows

Planning permission for installing doors and windows

Your local authority’s myriad of planning rules and regulations can sometimes feel like a minefield (we’ve all heard stories about that time when a neighbor tried to renovate their home and fell foul of the local inspector). What can you change? To what extent? And will it take forever to go through the necessary motions at your local planning office?

The good news is that there is an online planning portal to help with all planning and building regulation requirements in the UK (much of this information was taken from their website at www.planningportal.gov.uk). If you are thinking of making changes to doors or glass in your house, here is a basic outline of what you need to know.

You may not need planning permission
You may not need to get involved in planning issues if you are carrying out minor repairs or improvements (e.g. repainting windows or doors), you are replacing windows and doors that look similar to those used when the house was first constructed (depending on how old your house is you may need help on this one!) or you are putting in new roof lights or skylights that do not protrude beyond the roof in any way (actual specifications are listed on the Planning Portal).

Everyone needs to comply with Building Regulations
Since 2002, building regulations have been necessary for all replacement glazing because of the impact on safety, means of escape, ventilation and thermal performance. Any door or window that allows entry or access into or out of the house is deemed a “controlled fitting”. As such it must meet the criteria laid out by the law.

How to make sure you comply with Building Regulations
It might be easier to use a company or installer that signs up to a competency scheme. This can often bypass the need for contacting local authority Building Control as they are approved to carry out work that complies with the law. A list of competent schemes can be found on the gov.uk website. If you do not use a registered person, you will need to contact your local Building Control department to ensure the results comply. They will issue you with a certificate if it does.

Listed or leased buildings
The bad news is that – if your house is a listed building – all bets are off. You will need listed building consent for any significant work – it’s always best to check first. Also, if you are leasing your property, you should probably contact the landlord or company first.

As with everything, local guidance may vary across different regimes. If you are making changes to window glass in Guildford or the surrounding areas, contact your local planning office at Guildford Borough Council to make sure!

Allways Glazing Works Ltd has been in business for nearly 20 years and can help navigate some of these planning and building consent issues.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This